Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Pacman's Punch that did it

This entry concerning the recent demolition job by Manny Pacquiao to defeat David Diaz seems late. It is also a late post to state the euphoria regarding the post-fight party by Pacman with KG and the rest of the 2008 NBA Champions Boston Celtics. The statistics on how many people watched Pacquiao and the Celtics celebrated on YouTube is enough to state the obvious.

What really concerns me is the reporting done on the fight which I read on several sites. I myself watched the fight so basically I can distinguish who has the real knowledge regarding boxing. What surprised me really is how several old sport writers named the punch that sent Diaz kissing the canvas. One said it was a left jab. Another a left straight. While most got it right when they write a left hook. I’m just wondering where on earth do these sports writers came from who said it was a left jab or a left straight.

Anyway for me, a more descriptive, literary description of the punch would be: a short left snap-hook punch. (Put a wide grin here, a la Farina.)

No comments: