Monday, June 30, 2008

Kerouac’s On the Road

Back in school, reading was considered an activity for geeks and outcasts. But that changed for me after an accidental discovery of a copy of Jack Kerouac’s On the Road on my cousin’s bookshelf full of computer books. On the Road is an adrenalin rush of unadulterated yakking by Kerouac, written in two weeks while high on benzendrine pills.

Who was there before the hipsters? Beatniks and their pack of adventure-driven contemporaries roaring to get themselves a taste of travel, pure air, what it means to be living — what life is all about. On the Road is a good travel companion just in case you want a kick of that same adrenalin rush, almost as good as hitting the road yourself.

Note: Of course, those who are regular readers of this blog know that I did not find On the Road on my cousin's bookshelves. I got the book after four years of waiting for it to be available in the bookstores, especially in Powerbooks. Nevertheless, this post is something I've ghost-written for dethroner.com under the name of mike mons which I told my middle-man should be changed to yuri at least. Unfortunately, I did not get any pay for the work.

No comments: