Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Farewell

The talk was under way. I sidled toward the last pew of the chapel and there took my seat. From my vantage point, I looked over the shoulders and head of the audience on the speaker seated at the center, behind her the marble altar and the huge wooden cross lingered as if letting her take the priveledge of using the venue for secular purpose founded on basic moral religious grounds the Church in the first place believes in.

I had to lean forward, resting my chin on my palm, attracted by the clear, rhythmic voice of the speaker resounding inside the chapel -- I could not recall whether she was using a microphone or not but the voice came clear and lean.

The subject of the talk dealt with then on-going peace process between the Ramos regime and the moro Islamic secessionist groups; an urgent, important subject to tackle upon, without doubt. Yet, my person could not deny the presence of a much more important factor of the talk: the speaker herself.

Her wiry hair, dropping eyelids which says as if she had a sleeplessness night reading tomes, would shine in a matter-on-fact mien as she untangled the intricate knots of the subjects into simple thread of ordinary man's terminologies; her benevolent professorial voice would pause to give way for full absorption of her statements. But her delivery was not the sum importance I could tangibly felt then. Rather, her delivery showed the tip of the iceberg of her real nature, the essence of her importance.

Her fragile, sage-like physiogonomy cland in flower-designed loose blouse -- her presence alone, so to speak -- could fill the whole chapel with strong positive energy of Intergrity. It was so strong that the audience could feel the invisible stream of grace and bliss running and seeping into the pores of their skin deep into the marrow of their tingling souls.

As I raptly listened to her, I had no doubt that I crossed path with one of the extraordinary persons this country had ever produced. Being with her at a same place, breathing the same universe as hers for a short time, listening and seeing her talked, it was the secular version of blissful experience of having a glimpse of the Pope.

That was more than a decade ago. Now the speaker left this earth to where she could be close to God. On her journey to this place, I bid her Godspeed.

You had walked upon this world Ms Haydee Yorac radiating with the power of inherent Integrity, and many have learned and been inspired by your example. Thank you. And farewell.

No comments: