Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Concerns of the Present

The first month of this year is almost over. I never really subscribe to New Year Resolutions since most of the times, by this time, they are all forgotten and everything is back to the old ways. Nevertheless, I think each day should be treated as a beginning, a fresh start. Old or recent fallbacks and mistakes should be considered a past. Something that one should let go and treated as an experience. If there is something to learn from them, then use this if you want. Failures of the past should not define your present. Even triumph for that matter. Since life is ever changing both failures and triumph is a mere concept of the past. If you are tied to it, you will just get frustrated when things are not going good at the present. So the present is more important.

 

 I remember my literary idol, Hemingway. He had all his triumphs and achievements, and some failures on women. But who knows what happened during the autumn of his years, he blew himself up with a shot gun. Next in mind is George Eastman of Kodak. He struggled to be a millionaire, but when he was already on the top, he experienced the loneliness bestowed on him by his stature; same way with the other billionaires narrated by the author of Rich Dad Poor Dad. Is the culprit their attachment to the past? Or to the future? Or inability to cope with the present?

 

Be still and do not let the winds of life blow you anywhere. There’s joy in your being since the beginning. (Drat! My readings of Buddhism is showing already and I did I get it right? But somewhere out there, the word praxis is reverberating and telling me that I should practice it. lol)

 

Nevertheless, there are a lot of things to do. My finances are in trouble. My work is not good. My actions are not skillful. A lot of mistakes. But this is a fresh start. These are the concern of the present.  

No comments: