Friday, May 25, 2007

Been Had

I’ve been had.

In searching for a job the familiar, most used words by the screener/interviewer to the helpless reject is the promise of giving them a ring: Hintayin mo na lang ang tawag namin next week.

Now, to the uninitiated and tyro in the art of job hunting, this promise means a hopeful positive one. The job hunter, unscathed and never been beaten out there in the employment market, succumbs to the apple of temptation of waiting for the call thinking that the interviewer meant what he had said.

The week is long and before the job hunter knew it, he will discover that there will be no call. He has been given the words of appeasement and he bit on it. This is why those veterans in job hunting knew the moment they step out of the prospective employer’s office if they have been axed or if there is something to hope for. So they will ask the tyro: Anong sabi ‘yo?

Tyro: Tatawagan na lang daw ako.

The Veteran: Wag mo na asahan yan.

In the long time of experience in the hardship of job hunting, this ‘exit’ words by the interviewer is the most dreaded words I anticipate. It has been used for a very long time and it has been this way since I ever remember.

But in my recent experience, it seems this ‘exit’ words has been given a strain more potent than ever before that a veteran will surely bite on off guard, without knowing he is being had by the wily screener/interviewer.

Nevertheless, I take the responsibility of being rejected because of the things I yakked during the interview and by losing my nerves that kept me stuttering. Who in his right mind will say he has plans to publish a book someday. The logic is awry considering I’m already past the age of Christ and not connected with they academe and what more this plan is almost impossible in our country.

Going back to the subject of this post, the new strain of ‘exit’ words used to me by the screener/interviewer is definitely a deft one.

I was told to set a time the following week for an interview with the manager of the department which the vacancy falls under. I was even told to wear proper business attire when I show up. Just wait for the call in the middle of week (this drat! I failed to anticipate a negative aspect of the interview).

I waited patiently and with eagerness for a week only to realize that I have been had.

No comments: