Tuesday, April 27, 2010

NBA Playoffs, Haruki Murakami and Need for Cash

I just woke up last week with the surprise that it is already the post-season in the NBA. Barely having any thoughts to do in front of the laptop and doing the ritual of checking first my emails, the automatic homepage of yahoo told something about the Playoffs 2010. That was the only time that I realized that my usual cycle of yearly anticipation had been broken somehow.

Usually, weeks prior to the playoffs, I am already checking and getting into conversation with anybody in the neighborhood who are following the NBA. But now this time. As I said the usual cycle of yearly anticipation have dissipated in the air somehow.

As far as I remember, going way back a decade ago or even older than that, NBA playoffs (especially the Finals) has a way of bringing my world into a halt and put me in that state of heightened awareness of superb half-court basketball strategies of offense and defense exponentially faster that what the locals here are doing. (But don’t ask me how and what is the triangle offense that Phil Jackson and Michael Jordan did to their Chicago Bulls because I still have to figure it out until this time.)

It seems concerns and priorities have changed right now. Even right at this moment, I have the choice to turn on the tube and catch probably the fourth quarter of a playoffs game somewhere in the cable but I no longer bother to do it. I can not even imagine sitting relax and comfortable watching the game because I know I will just fidget and feel guilty about it.

First and foremost, since Lil Feather and I tied the knot and I no longer have an exclusive use of my bachelor bed (which actually was a hand-over furniture from my sister Jane, the pressing task that is asking for attention is for me to work as consistently as possible. And funds and cash is something of a need right now more than ever.

This is the reason why since how long I could not remember I bought a book (courtesy of Lil Feather’s one day work for her client) to unblock my rotting head and get it stirred up again and get it running and functioning like before. I got Haruki Murakami’s Wind-Up Bird Chronicle; a rather thick book but not a hard read compared with Pynchon’s Gravity’s Rainbow.

Nevertheless, going back to the playoffs, it is just the first round so missing some games does not matter. I usually missed first-round playoffs games and only stick to the tube to watch games during the conference finals and all the way up to the finals. This is also the first time I think that my favorite team Pistons failed to make it to the playoffs, which is expected and understandable.

But for now, post season NBA does not matter because what matter most right now is to be a money magnet and that three articles for a client are waiting to be written already then transform them into dire need cash.

No comments: