Monday, November 20, 2006

On Reading Stainless Longganisa

Usually the moment I open my eyes when I wake up every morning, my head is swimming in the murky, deathlike impression of another long day. I guess this feeling goes along with the realization that I don’t have a job and days inevitably are going nowhere mfor me. Add to that my passion for serious readings that makes my face worn-down as I wake up because of some memory of last night’s failure to decipher those difficult text by my favorite writers.

Then one day, like a grace showering on me, I wake up with a sunny and bright impression of the day without a trace of grudge against the world. I even afford to smile and grin from time to time feeling no heavy burden on my shoulders as if suddenly freed from long years of imprisonment. Life is beautiful and what a blessing it is to read and write and dream and be whatever you want to be; and yes, what a blessing it is to be able to read and live.

This quick turn from my usually stern outlook about life is the byproduct on reading Bob Ong’s Stainless Longganisa.

I long have known Bob Ong by my perennial visits to the bookstore but have never tried opening one of his books, which usually stare at me from the bookstore shelves of the Filipiniana section. I am never fond of novelty books, which gauging by the way his books are marketed are one — though his Ang Paboritong Libro ni Hudas stirs the interest of the serious reader in me.

It just happens that my one of my sisters bought Stainless Longganisa and the book aroused my curiosity of what kind of a writer really is Bob Ong since my sisters kept on flashing their pearly white teeth and making that strange upward curve on their lips while reading the book.

As I find out, Stainless Longganisa mainly tells in casual Filipino text the experiences and philosophy of Bob Ong as a local writer – but don’t be misled by the word ‘philosophy’ as a hint that this book is a heavy read. It is one light read that is hard to resist to put the book down without reaching the last page. Another thing is the book is an intelligent read with mischievous and constant fooling around by Bob Ong.

The grim clouds in my head vanishes the moment I start reading the book. For one, this book is a sort of an inspirational book for the regular guy who dreams of becoming whatever he want himself to be. Written in subjective anecdotal tone, replete with jokes, Bob Ong never misses his mark in stating that his readers are important, beautiful Filipinos.

Good book and a good pick in giving as gift this coming Christmas to those close to you who are starting to learn loving a book.

No comments: